[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 16 13:32:08 UTC 2019

On 16/07/2019 14:16, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> On 16/07/2019 14:02, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
>>> Rowland,
>>>
>>> You could go another step further and run that with "notify" to
>>> monitor for changes, instead of having to run it in a cron job. In my
>>> experience, "notify" works using smbclient, but not so with
>>> libsmbclient.
>> Problem is, the script is written to be run on DC's that do not hold the
>> PDC Emulator FSMO role, so it would have to be re-written.
> Why does the PDC emulator role matter? All non-PDC-emulators could
> simply watch for changes on the PDC Emulator, right? Am I missing
> something?

It doesn't really matter, but it is probably best practise to only carry
out GPO operations on one DC and the PDC Emulator DC is probably the
best one to use.

 From my knowledge, inotify only works on the computer it is installed
on, so how do you suggest that inotify could watch for something
happening on another computer ?

Of course, you could install another script on the PDC Emulator to watch
Sysvol and then run something (smbclient ??) to run the sync script on
other DC's

Rowland