[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 15:40:45 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM Rowland penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 16/07/2019 14:16, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM Rowland penny via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> Problem is, the script is written to be run on DC's that do not hold the
> >> PDC Emulator FSMO role, so it would have to be re-written.
> > Why does the PDC emulator role matter? All non-PDC-emulators could
> > simply watch for changes on the PDC Emulator, right? Am I missing
> > something?
>
> It doesn't really matter, but it is probably best practise to only carry
> out GPO operations on one DC and the PDC Emulator DC is probably the
> best one to use.

Absolutely, all of my plans and scripts assume this. I also enforce it
by marking Sysvol and netlogon as "read only = yes" on
non-PDC-Emulators.

>  From my knowledge, inotify only works on the computer it is installed
> on, so how do you suggest that inotify could watch for something
> happening on another computer ?

I'm not referring to inotify; I'm talking about the smbcient "notify"
command, or libsmbclient smbc_notify() API.