[Samba] smb.conf realm parameter

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 5 13:44:06 UTC 2019

On 05/07/2019 14:31, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Rowland,
>
> Do you know is samba is changing the smb value here to uppercase in the background.
> ( see: https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.12/doc/admin/realm_config.html )
>
> Because if not, i really suggest we follow the recommendations here, (uppercase REALM)
> a mismatch in realm due to upper/lower case is really hard to find..
>
> Just saying..

Yes and worth saying, but I never gave it much thought before, so I
changed my realm line to:

     realm = samdom.example.com

testparm produced this amongst the output:

     realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM

So it looks like Samba does uppercase the realm, but interestingly (and
I have noticed this before) the 'idmap config' lines:

     idmap config SAMDOM

Become:

     idmap config samdom

Rowland