[Samba] Container setup?

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Thu Jul 4 17:49:11 UTC 2019

Hello Patrick,

>On 7/3/19 8:21 AM, Sven Schwedas via samba wrote:
>> Though I'm not sure if docker is the right tool for the job; samba as a
>> fat daemon running a bazillion subprocesses orchestrated by a
>> persistent database that's very sensitive to instances leaving and
>> joining the domain seems the antithesis to docker's philosophy.
>>

>Docker would be a terrible choice for this; Docker is really designed to containerize a single app; for a suite of tools use LXD or nspawn.
>While I haven't used nspawn, I'm a huge fan of LXD, which is simple, elegant, well maintained, and UNIX-y in feel.  If you're on Ubuntu or need to run an Ubuntu container, LXD is a no-brainer choice.

I am aware that Docker is criticized for deviating or extending the container spec and also causing some additional overhead. However
* I think, Docker is popular and might therefore be a good choice to attract more users using containers,
* I am already running apps that really exploit docker-compose extensively, i.e. if I go for LXD or nspawn I have to run both,
* I am not (yet) familiar with LXD or nspawn. Do you have any pointer on how Samba DC works with LXD?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Joachim