[Samba] Container setup?

Goetz, Patrick G pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 3 19:53:17 UTC 2019

On 7/3/19 8:21 AM, Sven Schwedas via samba wrote:
  > Though I'm not sure if docker is the right tool for the job; samba as a
> fat daemon running a bazillion subprocesses orchestrated by a persistent
> database that's very sensitive to instances leaving and joining the
> domain seems the antithesis to docker's philosophy.

Docker would be a terrible choice for this; Docker is really designed to
containerize a single app; for a suite of tools use LXD or nspawn.

While I haven't used nspawn, I'm a huge fan of LXD, which is simple,
elegant, well maintained, and UNIX-y in feel.  If you're on Ubuntu or
need to run an Ubuntu container, LXD is a no-brainer choice.