[Samba] cannot set filesystem permissions on shares

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 4 15:16:16 UTC 2019

On 04/07/2019 15:50, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote
>> The thing is that it seems that every time this problem comes up, it
>> comes down to 'everyone' being removed from the 'share' tab.
>> Now I never
>> have this problem, but then I never touch the 'share' tab.
>>
>>   From what you saying, if you remove 'everyone' from the
>> share tab, you
>> must replace it with 'domain user', so why bother ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>
>> why bother ?
> If it hits security i alway think about it. because im obligated todo so. ( due my job )
No, I meant, why change it, there isn't (to me) much difference between
'everyone' and the members of 'Domain Users', or am I missing something ?
> And .. well, that depends also, some might want to use "authenticated user" and not "domain users" and/or not Everyone for example.
> I can't just say, "Everyone/FullControl" is fine, no, it really depends on what the standards of the user/company are.
> Yes, its fine to start with, so you know what your doing and start learning the 2 acls. (share/security)
 From the Samba point of view, I think saying "you shouldn't have to
change anything on the share tab" is OK, but perhaps adding a link to
further reading on the subject may be a good thing.

>>   From what you saying, if you remove 'everyone' from the share tab, you must replace it with 'domain user', so why bother ?
> No, what i did say to Pisch, was, remove "dom admins and dom user" and add everyone back.
> Because i think that "older bug" is the problem here.
> And thats simpley found by useing on the share Everyone/FULL Cont.

Understood ;-)

Rowland