[Samba] cannot set filesystem permissions on shares

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 3 14:47:03 UTC 2019

On 03/07/2019 14:45, Pisch Tamás via samba wrote:
>> Run this : getfacl /home/users
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: home/users
> # owner: root
> # group: A\\domain\040admins
> user::rwx
> user:root:rwx
> user:10512:rwx
> group::rwx
> group:A\\domain\040admins:rwx
> mask::rwx
> other::---
> default:user::rwx
> default:user:root:rwx
> default:group::rwx
> default:group:A\\domain\040admins:rwx
> default:mask::rwx
> default:other::---

Hmm, have you done something like running 'setfacl' on the directory ?

I ask this because, if you created the directory with:

mkdir /home/users

changed the ownership with:

chown root:'A\Domain Admins' /home/users

Changed the permissions with:

chmod 0770 /home/users

I would have expected 'getfacl' to return

# file: home/users
# owner: root
# group: A\134domain\040admins
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::---

Yours appears to have extra lines that would normally only be there if
ACL's  had been set from Windows or with 'setfacl'.

There is also this:

A\\domain\040admins

If you look at what I would expect, the second '\' is replaced by '134',
this is the ascii code for '\' (040 is the code for a space), so why is
yours different from every other getfacl output I have ever seen ?

Rowland