[Samba] cannot set filesystem permissions on shares

Pisch Tamás pischta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 07:45:45 UTC 2019

> >> Run this : getfacl /home/users
> > getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> > # file: home/users
> > # owner: root
> > # group: A\\domain\040admins
> > user::rwx
> > user:root:rwx
> > user:10512:rwx
> > group::rwx
> > group:A\\domain\040admins:rwx
> > mask::rwx
> > other::---
> > default:user::rwx
> > default:user:root:rwx
> > default:group::rwx
> > default:group:A\\domain\040admins:rwx
> > default:mask::rwx
> > default:other::---
>
> Hmm, have you done something like running 'setfacl' on the directory ?
No.

> I ask this because, if you created the directory with:
> mkdir /home/users
> changed the ownership with:
> chown root:'A\Domain Admins' /home/users
> Changed the permissions with:
> chmod 0770 /home/users
> I would have expected 'getfacl' to return
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: home/users
> # owner: root
> # group: A\134domain\040admins
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> other::---
> Yours appears to have extra lines that would normally only be there if
> ACL's  had been set from Windows or with 'setfacl'.
> There is also this:
> A\\domain\040admins
> If you look at what I would expect, the second '\' is replaced by '134',
> this is the ascii code for '\' (040 is the code for a space), so why is
> yours different from every other getfacl output I have ever seen ?
I did the followings today:
setfacl -b users
chmod 0770 users
chown "root:A\domain users" users
getfacl users
# file: users
# owner: root
# group: A\\domain\040users
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::---
So, the use of \\ is "automatic", I don't know other way to set it.
But, after the reset, I still cannot change the directory permissions
from Windows.