[Samba] samba-tool provision error

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 25 20:51:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:36:46 +1300
Tim Beale via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like samba is having trouble reading the smb.conf file, so
> I'd suggest double-checking that. From memory, I think you can get
> this exception if the smb.conf file exists, but cannot be parsed
> correctly.
>
> I think the default location of the smb.conf can vary depending on
> distro/compilation/etc. On ubuntu the default location is
> /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf. You could try using testparm - that
> should display the smb.conf location, along with any settings it can
> read.
>
> Another option might be to override the default path by passing the
> '--configfile=<filepath>' option to the provision command. (You'll
> just get the same headaches in the long-run though, so it's worth
> resolving the underlying smb.conf problem).

This all depends on how the OP compiled Samba, unless he passed
'--prefix=/path/where/to/put/samba' on the ./configure' line, samba
will have ended up in /usr/local/samba, ALL of it.

So, was Samba already installed ?
If so, the OP needs to alter his PATH to put the new Samba install
before the distro install, otherwise he will be running the wrong
samba-tool etc.

Rowland