[Samba] samba-tool provision error

Tim Beale timbeale at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Feb 25 20:36:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

It looks like samba is having trouble reading the smb.conf file, so I'd
suggest double-checking that. From memory, I think you can get this
exception if the smb.conf file exists, but cannot be parsed correctly.

I think the default location of the smb.conf can vary depending on
distro/compilation/etc. On ubuntu the default location is
/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf. You could try using testparm - that
should display the smb.conf location, along with any settings it can read.

Another option might be to override the default path by passing the
'--configfile=<filepath>' option to the provision command. (You'll just
get the same headaches in the long-run though, so it's worth resolving
the underlying smb.conf problem).

Cheers,
Tim