[Samba] Password change **apparently** failing in Windows 10 with 4.7.1

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 14:46:21 UTC 2019

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:08:46 +0100
> Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Mandi! Nick Howitt via samba
>>    In chel di` si favelave...
>>
>> Could be that:
>>
>>> unix password sync = Yes
>> Add a little delay, that ''confuse'' win10 box?
>>
> I doubt it, it is probably another artefact of the 'Windows doesn't
> care about NT4-style domain' syndrome.
>
> Microsoft EOL'ed NT domains over 10 years ago, so they just don't
> think about keeping them working whilst writing code.
>
> I do not think this is a Samba problem, the password gets changed and
> can be used to log into the server, so it works from the Samba
> perspective, it falls over on the Win10 computer. This, to me, points
> to a Windows problem.
>
> I have said it before and I will probably have to say it again, if
> you run an NT4-style domain, upgrade to an AD domain as soon as
> possible.
>
> The problem for the OP is (if I am correct), he will have to change his
> OS as well ('CLEARSYSTEM' possibly means CLEAROS).
It even works on Windows, only Windows initially says failed. Yes it is
ClearOS and I am pushing for the system to transition over to AD. I have
a working model with docker but for a query on nmbd bindings which is no
one has so far been able to give me a working answer, but it may not matter.

I think the reluctance of going the whole hog and using Samba AD as the
primary instance of samba is that ClearOS does quite a lot around unix
style sharing rather than Windows ACL's and that transition may be a bit
messy. Therefore they want to run Samba AD in docker and have the
primary instance of samba with its unix-style sharing join to it. They
want a one box solution.

Other distros have managed AD as the primary (only) samba instance so it
must be possible, but I don't know what would break.

Nick