[Samba] Failing to join existing AD as DC

Alexander Harm contact at aharm.de
Mon Aug 26 09:27:02 UTC 2019

OK, did everything as suggested, re-installed and joined the Samba instances to AD. Worked flawlessly so far.

However, there are two things I noticed which bother me a bit. On the Windows DC:

DNS Manager: the two Samba DCs are not listed as nameservers for the domain

AD Users and Computers: the two Samba DCs do neither appear in Domain Controllers nor under Computers

They both appear in AD Sites & Services correctly and as mentioned above, everything seems to work just fine.

Question: should I simply add them manually as nameservers (makes sense to me) and as domain controllers (probably makes no difference)?

On 16. August 2019 at 16:14:02, Rowland penny via samba (samba at lists.samba.org) wrote:

On 16/08/2019 15:02, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Naa.. Not needed to reinstall.
>
> His setup is better then most i see here.
> He could do.
>
> apt-get remove --autoremove --purge samba winbind
>
> And reinstall samba, that should be sufficient.
> But stopping samba-ad-dc and removing the files for the /var/{lib,cache}/samba is suffient.
>
> I do that on every test server.

I was just making sure ;-)

I am going now to the Samba 'join' wiki page to ensure it says 'do not
provision before attempting a join' ;-)

Rowland