[Samba] Alternatives to Samba for linux/Win7 file sharing.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 25 05:36:21 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 16:31 +0000, Zalth via samba wrote:
> I'm new to samba. I'm using 4.5.16-Debian at home to make available a
> drive in a linux machine to two users on a Win7 machine.  Read-only.
> No concurrent access.  Low-throughput, no streaming etc.  That's it.
> No other sharing of any kind, no write-permission of any kind, etc.
> My application seems to require 1% of the capabilities of samba.
> Samba is overkill.  What other software based solutions are there?
>
> I could just pop it in an enclosure and plug it in to which ever
> machine needs it that day, or get a router that will network a drive,
> but there are draw backs to those approaches so I'm looking for a
> software solution. Being a home setup, I have full control of the two
> machines and the routers.

The best I can suggest is Samba but don't touch the options.

That really is the simple option, yes, as an old project we have a lot
of tweaks that are genuinely useful to many of our administrators, but
the defaults are there for a reason, so just use those, that is likely
the simpler option you are looking for.

Andrew Bartlett