[Samba] Alternatives to Samba for linux/Win7 file sharing.

Zalth mickydean at protonmail.com
Sat Aug 24 16:31:19 UTC 2019

I'm new to samba. I'm using 4.5.16-Debian at home to make available a drive in a linux machine to two users on a Win7 machine.  Read-only.  No concurrent access.  Low-throughput, no streaming etc.  That's it.  No other sharing of any kind, no write-permission of any kind, etc.  My application seems to require 1% of the capabilities of samba.  Samba is overkill.  What other software based solutions are there?

I could just pop it in an enclosure and plug it in to which ever machine needs it that day, or get a router that will network a drive, but there are draw backs to those approaches so I'm looking for a software solution. Being a home setup, I have full control of the two machines and the routers.