[Samba] Problems joining Samba 4 in the domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 13 16:35:39 UTC 2019

On 13/08/2019 17:22, Marcio Demetrio Bacci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have removed the Samba 4 (new) DC in the domain.
>
> I have cleaned all logs and did maintenance on the bases with dbcheck.
>
> I have joined it back in the domain, but the new DC information are
> not included in DNS. I see many DNS dynamic update error messages
> between my DCs. I don't know if the problem is Windows Server 2008.
>
> Until I leave the 2 Samba servers healthy I can not remove the Windows
> Server.
>
> How could I resolve DNS dynamic update issues?
>
> I am using Samba Internal DNS.

As I understand it, you have a Samba AD DC that is running correctly,
but cannot join another Samba DC to the domain.

I can think of two things to try (both using a new DC name)

use '--server=THE_EXISTING_SAMBA_AD_DC' with the join command

Or

Turn off the Windows DC whilst you attempt the join, this will force it
to use the existing Samba AD DC during the join, though you will have to
ensure the existing Samba AD DC holds all the FSMO roles.

Rowland