[Samba] Migrate from 3.5.21 or start anew?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 6 21:11:33 UTC 2019

On 06/08/2019 21:36, Steve Wolf via samba wrote:

> Hello Samba List,
>

> I am trying to figure the best way to move forward with bringing a Samba setup up to date.
>

> We currently have a Samba DC running version 3.5.21. This is running on an old Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 box. There are about 20 users in the domain, a couple of groups, and about 10 shares. About 20 Windows 7 PCs are joined to the domain.
>

> We’d like to end up with a Samba Active Directory setup, running on the current version of Samba, on a new server (probably running Debian). Likely two servers, eventually for failover purposes, but that’s not as relevant. Once the new Samba AD is up and running, we’ll be migrating users to Windows 10 PCs.
>

> So, what’s the best course of action for the upgrade? Should I be looking at upgrading the existing Samba server in place to Samba 4 with AD? Or is that going to be difficult with the old version of Linux running on the DC? Given the low user/PC count, perhaps it makes more sense just to build a new domain and join the PCs to it, migrating user profiles with a tool like [ https://www.forensit.com/domain-migration.html | ForensIT’s User Profile Wizard ] ?
>

> Does anyone have any experience with a similar upgrade?
>

> Thanks for your help,
>

> Steve

No brainer, your domain is so small, I would start with a new AD domain,
this way you can get away from the mistakes of the past (user & groups
IDs that are the same as Unix IDs etc)

I would install the latest Debian on a new server and provision a new
domain and go from there. If you want the latest version of Samba, use
Louis Van Belle's repo, see here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/

I don't know anything about ForensiT's profile wizard, but the link you
provide doesn't mention Samba.

If you do decide to go down the classicupgrade path, you will have to
test everything before doing it for real and you will carry over all the
mistakes of the past and I don't know if it has ever been done before
with such an old version of Samba

Rowland