[Samba] No dynamic dns updates if client ip changed

basti.mueller31 at web.de basti.mueller31 at web.de
Mon Aug 5 13:02:29 UTC 2019

Hi,

I've a problem with the dynamic dns updates. It seems they won't work.

Most of my clients have a dynmaic IP so sometimes they change. If I do a ping to the name, it tries do ping the old ip insead of the changed new one.

I tried a "samba_dnsupdate --verbose" and got a looking/checking output and at least a "No DNS updates needed". But the client still has the old dns-record

We've changed our setup from winbind to sssd some month ago. I'm not sure if this was working before we switched.

My setup is:
Linux Debian 4.9.168
Samba vers 4.5.16
sssd vers 1.15.0
isc dhcp vers. 4.3.5

smb.conf:

[global]
        netbios name = PDC
        realm = COMPANY.COM
        workgroup = COMPANY
        interfaces = br0 tun0
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir= /home/%U
        dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
        ldap server require strong auth = no
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.samba-ad
        max log size = 10000
        log level = 2
        domain logons = Yes
        panic action = /var/lib/samba/gdb_backtrace %d
        mangled names = no
        unix extensions = no
        acl allow execute always = True
        follow symlinks = yes
        wide links = yes

sssd.conf:

[sssd]
        config_file_version = 2
        services = nss, pam
        domains = COMPANY.COM
[domain/COMPANY.COM]
        id_provider = ad
        access_provider = ad
        sudo_provider = none

        ldap_id_mapping = false

        fallback_homedir = /home/%u
        default_shell = /bin/bash
        skel_dir = /etc/skel
        krb5_keytab=/etc/krb5.sssd.keytab
        enumerate = true
        ldap_user_gecos = description
        cache_credentials = false
        ldap_enumeration_refresh_timeout = 30

If you need some more infos please let me know but I think I just missed an option to activate it?