[Samba] No dynamic dns updates if client ip changed

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 5 13:18:52 UTC 2019

On 05/08/2019 14:02, basti mueller via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a problem with the dynamic dns updates. It seems they won't work.
>
> Most of my clients have a dynmaic IP so sometimes they change. If I do a ping to the name, it tries do ping the old ip insead of the changed new one.
>
> I tried a "samba_dnsupdate --verbose" and got a looking/checking output and at least a "No DNS updates needed". But the client still has the old dns-record
samba_dnsupdate has nothing to do with updating your clients dns records.

> We've changed our setup from winbind to sssd some month ago. I'm not sure if this was working before we switched.

Using sssd with Samba is not supported (not even by red-hat)
> My setup is:
> Linux Debian 4.9.168
I take it that is your kernel version
> Samba vers 4.5.16
But that means Debian Stretch, I suggest you upgrade to Buster
> sssd vers 1.15.0
apt-get purge sssd
> isc dhcp vers. 4.3.5
How is DHCP setup ?

> smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>          netbios name = PDC
Why call it something it isn't ?
>          realm = COMPANY.COM
>          workgroup = COMPANY
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          interfaces = br0 tun0
>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>          template shell = /bin/bash
>          template homedir= /home/%U
>          dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
Not using bind9
>          ldap server require strong auth = no
>          log file = /var/log/samba/log.samba-ad
>          max log size = 10000
>          log level = 2
>          domain logons = Yes
Don't need that line, it sort of goes with being an AD domain
>          panic action = /var/lib/samba/gdb_backtrace %d
>          mangled names = no
>          unix extensions = no
>          acl allow execute always = True
>          follow symlinks = yes