[Samba] Difficulties retrieving randomly assigned password for newly created Samba user acounts

Stephen stephen at ogdenradar.com
Mon Apr 29 10:04:56 UTC 2019

Okay, thanks everyone. After I posted I eventually found an answer to my
question. Basically, I was doing things wrong here, and the
--random-password switch to samba-tool  not intended to be used with
user accounts at all - it's actually intended to be used with system
accounts only. By design it seems it doesn't report back on the random
password that is set.

Previously from Rowland in 2015:

"The whole idea of --random-password is to create a random password for
users that *don't* really need a password i.e. system services

If you want random passwords for users, then either use one of the many
password generators you can find on the internet, or write your own script."

Thanks
Stephen Ellwood