[Samba] Difficulties retrieving randomly assigned password for newly created Samba user acounts

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Apr 29 09:34:12 UTC 2019

What the password is, is in the output on you screen, if not, then script it.

kinit Administrator

# function random password.
RANDOMPASSWD(){ < /dev/urandom tr -dc _A-Z-a-z-0-9 | head -c${1:-16};echo; }

# Pull a random into USERPASS
USERPASS="$(RANDOMPASSWD)"

# And create your user.
sudo samba-tool user create "$USERNAME" --given-name="$GIVENNAME" --surname="$SURNAME" \
 --mail-address="$EMAIL" --company="$COMPANY" --password="$USERPASS" --must-change-at-next-login \
 --nis-domain="$WIN_DOMAIN" --unix-home="$UNIXHOMEFOLDERPATH" \
 --home-drive="H" --home-directory="$WINDOWSHOMEFOLDERPATH" \
 --login-shell="/usr/bin/git-shell" --uid-number="$UIDNUMBER" \
  --gid-number=10000 -k

Echo "$USERNAME:${USERPASS}" >> new-users.txt

Something like that.

Greetz,

Louis