[Samba] Roaming Profile issue in Windows 10

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 28 13:46:30 UTC 2019

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 09:31:25 -0400
Bob Smith <bobs04475 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > can you post your smb.conf, it sounds like it may not be set up
> > correctly.
>
> Here is my smb.conf.
>
> [global]
>     netbios name = fs
>     server string = Samba Server Version %v
>
>     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>     log level = 3
>     max log size = 500
>
>     workgroup = SAMDOM
>     realm = SAMDOM.LOCAL
>     security = ads

OK to here

>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         passdb backend = tdbsam

The above two lines are defaults, so are not require.

>         ldap ssl = no
>         ldap suffix = dc=samdom,dc=local
>         ldap admin dn = cn=fsadmin,dc=samdom,dc=local

Why the ldap lines ? they are not required on a Unix domain member.

>         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>         idmap config * : range = 16777216-33554431

Now we come to the big question, are you also using sssd ?
If so, Samba isn't doing the authentication, if not, then you also need
'idmap config' lines for the 'SAMDOM' domain.

Rowland