[Samba] Samba 4 write lock problem with MS Word

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 26 08:10:46 UTC 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 15:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
Dean Guenther via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I'm getting "access denied" with one particular samba 4 home
> directory NFS share. But only with Microsoft Word, Excel and
> PowerPoint. If I edit an RTF file in wordpad or notepad and save it
> back to the samba home share it works. But I get "access denied" if
> I'm using Word. Also, no problems with WordPerfect.

Share an NFS share via Samba has never worked reliably.

> This mount point is on my Samba DC. And Samba resends the shares to
> the Windows clients.

I take it you missed all the warnings about not using a Samba DC as a
fileserver.

> [global]
> workgroup = ABC
> realm = ABC.ORG
> netbios name = SAMBA1
> server role = active directory domain controller
> dns forwarder = 192.168.14.254
> guest ok = yes

Guest access on a DC ?

> security = user

You should remove the line above.

> logon drive = H:
> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
>
> [home]
> comment = Home Directories
> path = /usr/data/Users
> writeable = yes
> use sendfile = no
> #oplocks = no
> #posix locking = no
>
> [public1]
> comment = All Users
> path = /usr/data/public
> writeable = yes
> #guest ok = yes
> admin users = @users
> force group = users
> create mask = 0660
> directory mask = 0771
> browseable = yes
> use sendfile = yes

You shouldn't attempt to use a share on a DC as if it was a share on a
Samba Unix domain member, see here:

You must follow that for any chance of getting things working correctly.

Rowland