[Samba] Windows clients require reboot once a day in order to access mapped drives

Mason Schmitt mason at ftlcomputing.com
Thu Apr 25 18:32:27 UTC 2019

> > Other option try :  acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes
> > > In place of acl_xattr:default acl style = windows
> > >

> > The first option, for ignoring system ACLs, is evil...
>
> Not really, it all depends on how you set the ACL's and where from ;-)
>
> I have the feeling that you think the ACL's can only be shown by 'ls'
> or 'getfacl' because they are only stored in two places, but if you set
> them from Windows, they are also stored in a 'EA'. This means that,
> provided you only have Windows clients, you can set 'acl_xattr:ignore
> system acls = yes' and get better NT ACL support.

I do understand that the windows ACLs are stored in an extended attribute
and that this isn't visible with 'ls'.  I do/did setup the windows ACLs
using RSAT from a Windows machine.

> If you follow
> > the samba wiki's process for setting up a file share, using windows
> > ACLs, but you have "acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes " in your
> > smb.conf, it will not work.  However, if you have an existing share,
> > that is already correctly setup with windows ACLs, then you can add
> > this line, after the fact, and everything will keep working.  So,
> > I'll give this suggestion a miss.
> >

> Louis, can you confirm this ? If you can I will update the wiki.

The last time I looked at the share setup page on the wiki, there was no
mention of  "acl_xattr:ignore system acl", so it shouldn't be causing
anyone any confusion.  If you are going to update documentation related to
this feature, the smb.conf man page might be a better place for a
disclaimer.

--
Mason