[Samba] Fwd: Re: Ressources needed (cpus, ram, etc.) for a Samba server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 10 16:41:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 13:14:35 -0300
Edouard Guigné via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Log level to 10 was for debug reasons, I can now surely set to 1 now.
> Concerning idmap config IPGAD, I don't see why is the reason to start
> at 1... I will set to 10000 as according to the documentation, thank
> you.
>
> What do you mean by "
> You are also using the winbind 'ad' backend, so have you added
> anything to AD ?
> " ?

Just what it says. I don't remember if you said what the AD DC is, but
it doesn't really matter, if you create a user using ADUC or
samba-tool, the user will just be a Windows user. That is unless you
also use the UNIX Attributes tab on ADUC or specify the RFC2307
attributes with 'samba-tool user add'.
The minimum requirement for a Unix AD user is that they must have a
uidNumber attribute containing a unique number inside the range you
set in smb.conf (now do you see why I asked about the range starting
at '1' ?) AND 'Domain Users'(the default user primary group) must have
a gidNumber attribute inside the same range. You are also using
'unix_primary_group = yes', so your users should also have gidNumber
attribute containing the gidNumber of a group.

It take it you haven't done any of the above, so you may want to
consider using the 'rid' backend instead. I would suggest you read
the wiki pages I pointed you to earlier.

Rowland