[Samba] SAMBA 48 - Dependencies Python27 vs python36

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 4 07:41:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-04-04 at 08:38 +0200, Andrea Venturoli via samba wrote:
> On 4/4/19 12:36 AM, Suporte - KONTROL via samba wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> > Thanks much for the message.
> >
> > As I am using FreeBSD 12, that´s the latest SAMBA version available
> > via PKG support, although I know it's possible to compile the ver
> > 4.10
> > Would you mind let me know where to get its Source code and
> > possibly some DOC material for FreeBSD compiling?
> > I will definitively give it a try.
> I guess you could have a look at the net/samba48 port and use that as
>> base to create a new one.
> If you are not interested in creating a full port, but want Samba
> 4.10
> up as quickly as possible, at least you'll find a lot of patches
> which
> were needed for 4.8 and are possibly useful for 4.10: remove them
> and
> add new ones as needed.

Timur did submit a lot of patches upstream, so there should be less
needed.  The Samba Team strongly encourages those packaging Samba not
to maintain local patches, and if they must do so only after the
patches have been submitted and accepted upstream for master.

This helps reduce the divergence and maintenance overhead in the long-
term.

> However, I suppose others might already be working on this, so I
> suggest
> you don't waste your time in a duplicate effort, but rather contact
> the
> maintainer and ask about the current status.

I've CC'ed Timur.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett