[Samba] Building samba for Ubuntu 18.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 2 12:31:26 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 07:59:50 -0400
Jonathan Kreider via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Rowland & Louis,
>
> Would either or both of you be kind enough to send me a copy of your
> configure script? That's the part that has so many options that I'm a
> bit overwhelmed. Also, the Ubuntu way of doing it is different than
> the default samba way.

You can have a copy of my notes with pleasure, but I went no further
than building and provisioning a Samba AD DC on 18.04, it was just a
proof of concept.

> The other possibility is that I can run smbd -b on my Ubuntu
> installation and copy those options to my configure script.

It is a bit more involved than that.

> What I would really value is a discussion of the trade offs between
> the samba default vs the Ubuntu configure script.

The difference is that if you build Samba with just './configure'
everything ends up in '/usr/local/samba' and you need to alter PATH so
the Samba binaries etc in /usr/local/samba are used instead of any
distro Samba packages. The problem is that some of the distro programs,
e.g. gvfs, still want the distro Samba packages.

> My inclination is to match the Ubuntu configuration, just so
> everything is where one expects it to be on Ubuntu. But I'm open to
> arguments for a different approach.

There is a third option, wait until Louis releases his Samba
4.10.0 packages for Ubuntu 18.04, these will replace any distro
Samba packages.

Rowland