[Samba] remote site options

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 13:57:45 UTC 2018

For 3 remote systems, it seems that adding a remote DC will be more work
than it is worth. Sonicwall  UTM's make it pretty easy to set up
site-to-site VPN connections even if only end has a static public
IP.            I believe that the remote PC's would locate the domain
controllers via DNS so you shouldn't have to worry about NBT or
WINS.      The sonicwall's also include various IP Helpers (e.g. for
relaying DHCP requests to a central DHCP server.)     I am sure that
Cisco and other SOHO solutions offer similar functionality.         The
hardware VPN approach is probably simpler than trying to build your own
VPN server with OpenVPN.

Assuming the client PC's are caching logins - even if the VPN link does
down  the remote users will still be able to login to their computers.