[Samba] RPC and NDR errors in log file

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 29 17:57:45 UTC 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:20:18 -0400
James Atwell via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello List,
>                 I'm receiving several of these messages in my samba
> log file. I'm not entirely sure what the errors are referencing
> either. I'm under the assumption DNS related.
>
> ndr_pull_error(11): Pull bytes 1 (../librpc/ndr/ndr_basic.c:81)
> ../librpc/rpc/dcerpc_util.c:264: ERROR: pad length mismatch.
> Calculated 44 got 0
>
> I have 3 sites with 2 DC's per site.  These messages are only coming
> from one site and both DC's are logging the errors.
>
> Since I suspect DNS related, I will provide my setup configs.

The message is coming from dcerpc_util.c, so it probably has nothing to
do with dns

> cat /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
>
> # Global parameters
>
> [global]
>         dns forwarder = 75.75.75.75 208.67.222.222

You are using Bind, so, as the 'dns forwarder' line will be ignored, you
might as well remove it.

I think we need to know more about your set up, OS versions etc.

Also I would take it as a big favour if you found a better email client
that didn't add all the blank lines ;-)

Rowland