[Samba] RPC and NDR errors in log file

James Atwell james.atwell365 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:17:01 UTC 2018

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:20:18 -0400
> James Atwell via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>                  I'm receiving several of these messages in my samba
>> log file. I'm not entirely sure what the errors are referencing
>> either. I'm under the assumption DNS related.
>>
>> ndr_pull_error(11): Pull bytes 1 (../librpc/ndr/ndr_basic.c:81)
>> ../librpc/rpc/dcerpc_util.c:264: ERROR: pad length mismatch.
>> Calculated 44 got 0
>>
>> I have 3 sites with 2 DC's per site.  These messages are only coming
>> from one site and both DC's are logging the errors.
>>
>> Since I suspect DNS related, I will provide my setup configs.
>>
> The message is coming from dcerpc_util.c, so it probably has nothing to
> do with dns
>
>> cat /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
>>
>> # Global parameters
>>
>> [global]
>>          dns forwarder = 75.75.75.75 208.67.222.222
> You are using Bind, so, as the 'dns forwarder' line will be ignored, you
> might as well remove it.
>
> I think we need to know more about your set up, OS versions etc.
>
> Also I would take it as a big favour if you found a better email client
> that didn't add all the blank lines ;-)
>
> Rowland

I removed the dns forwarder line as it was left over when using the
internal DNS at one point. Thanks.

I have 6 DC's all using Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS. I believe I previously
indicated they were 14.04 releases. A total of 3 sites with 2 DC's at
each.  Using rysnc sysvol replication as well. All DC's are using bind9
for DNS. All DC's are compiled from tar and using 4.9.1.

I was previously using Samba 4.8.6 prior to upgrading to  4.9.1. I was
not alerted to these errors until after the upgrade.

As a side note I have been on the list under a previous email if all
this sounds familiar. I switched back to using Thunderbird so curious if
it resolves the blank space issue as well.