[Samba] Rename domain

Philippe Maladjian pmaladjian at hilaire.fr
Thu Oct 11 14:02:36 UTC 2018

*Philippe MALADJIAN
Responsable informatique | administrateur système*

Le 10/10/2018 à 08:30, Andrew Bartlett via samba a écrit :
> On Fri, 2018-10-05 at 11:22 +0200, Philippe Maladjian via samba wrote:
>> *Philippe MALADJIAN
>> Responsable informatique | administrateur système*
>> Ligne directe : +33 (0)4 72 14 50 66 | pmaladjian at hilaire.fr
>> <mailto:pmaladjian at hilaire.fr>
>>

>> Le 03/10/2018 à 17:29, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :

>>> I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say, If you change the
>>> domain name, you also need to change the DNS domain, the REALM is the
>>> same as the DNS domain, but in uppercase.
>>> As I said, this is very new and I haven't had to use it yet, but, from
>>> my understanding, if your dns domain is samdom.example.com and you
>>> rename the domain, every instance of 'samdom', 'example' and 'com' will
>>> get changed to match your new name.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>> I fully understand the idea that the domain AD, DNS domain and REALM
>> must be identical.
>>
>> Our domain AD (NT mode) is dom.Company, the DNS that handles the
>> internal resolution is dom.CompanyName and our Internet domain name is
>> companyName.
>>
>> During my migration tests with the same domain configuration the domain
>> AD becomes dom, the DNS domain becomes dom and the REALM is DOM. This
>> poses a problem of reading and logic.
>>
>> The idea would be to put all this in order so that the domain AD is
>> ad.nomsociete.fr, domain DNS ad.nomsociete.fr and REALM AD.NOMSOCIETE.
>>
>> I understand that the function to rename a domain is too recent so is it
>> possible to make a first migration of samba 3 to 4 with the original
>> configuration and then to migrate a samba domain 4 to another domain
>> samba 4?
> The point of migration between 'Samba3' (a classic or NT4 domain) is
> your best opportunity to get the right name.
>
> This is the first time Samba will care about the DNS domain name of
> anything, so this is the time to chose your full ad.mycompany.com DNS
> domain as the --realm parameter.
>
> You may have difficulty with the . in the netbios name, particularly
> long-term, so if you don't mind re-joining your machines you might
> first want to rename that (ensure you keep the same domain SID) and
> rejoin the machines.
>
> I hope this helps.  One thing I wouldn't do is move to an AD domain
> then try and rename, things are *much* simpler in the old system for
> tricky things like this.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hello, I continue my research on my problem of change of domain name.
After talking with a specialized friend AD he offered to create a domain
mycompany.com with a subdomain mysite.mycompany.com. Both will be the
base of a forest then add to this forest my samba3 controller to migrate
users, machines from my samba3 to mysite.mycompany.com. The unknown is:
can samba3 be able to integrate a forest or will I have to go through a
version upgrade and migrate inside the forest?

Philippe.