[Samba] Rename domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 11 16:29:30 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:02:36 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello, I continue my research on my problem of change of domain name.
> After talking with a specialized friend AD he offered to create a
> domain mycompany.com with a subdomain mysite.mycompany.com. Both will
> be the base of a forest then add to this forest my samba3 controller
> to migrate users, machines from my samba3 to mysite.mycompany.com.
> The unknown is: can samba3 be able to integrate a forest or will I
> have to go through a version upgrade and migrate inside the forest?

Wrong question, it should have been 'Can a Samba AD domain be part of
an AD multi-domain Forest'. The answer to that question is 'not yet'

I personally would take this chance to create a totally new AD domain.
You could call it anything you like, but whatever you use for the dns
domain, must also be used for the realm e.g. if your dns domain is
'mysite.mycompany.com' then your realm will be 'MYSITE.MYCOMPANY.COM',
the workgroup is usually the lefthand part of the realm 'MYSITE', but
you can use anything you like.

You could export your existing users (along with their passwords),
groups and computers to .cvs files and, after you create your new
domain, import these into your new domain.

This would probably mean you would have to rejoin your clients, but you
would have had to do this if your new forest idea would have worked

Rowland