[Samba] Question about domain controller replication limit

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 9 10:24:45 UTC 2018

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 11:53:35 +0200
Fabio Fantoni via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi, I tried a fast search about domain controller replication limit
> without find without finding an answer.
>
> Can someone tell me if there are time limit of correct
> synchronization of domain controller turned off for a long time (like
> some days)? If yes what should be the time limit and what is better
> do when need to poweron domain controller that has passed that time?
>
> Can there be issue with one domain controller restored from backup or
> it will be simply resynchronized? Can there be different with windows
> domain controller (and there are different if it is the pdc or not)?

What PDC ? are you running an NT4-style DC as well ?
No I thought not, it is just your first DC and just because it is your
first DC doesn't mean it holds any FSMO roles.

Will the person who decided that calling the first DC a 'PDC' was a
good idea, please identify themselves, I could then explain to them why
calling it a 'PDC' is a stupid idea ;-)

> (where is more probable restore for other issue not related to domain
> itself)
>
> I know there was important drs changes in samba 4.5, if the answer
> are different based on samba version the answer can be about
> samba>=4.5
>
> Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

An AD DC really needs to be on 24/7, but it can probably handle being
off for a short while, replication should fix any changes. Being off
for a number of days is a different thing, what if numerous changes
have been done on other DCs, these may clog up your network whilst
they are replicated. There is always the possibility that the
replication could go the wrong way and new entries could be removed on
the other DCs, this is unlikely, but possible.

If you plan on turning off a DC for a long time, you should also plan
to demote it before you turn it off.

Rowland