[Samba] getent not showing domain users and groups with winbind but works with sssd

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Mon Oct 1 17:28:29 UTC 2018

Hi Louis and Rowland,

I'm just reporting back on this, in case it may help somebody else.

Getting a working getent (or id) under the current version of CentOS
with winbind just doesn't seems possible. I haven't got a clue where the
problem is. I have tried the suggestions, I did a clean installation,
and built Samba myself from source, but no way. Installing sssd, a few
lines of configuration, disabling winbind, and it just works. I just
want to stress, that the problems I have had getting the Samba domain
member to work, are most probably CentOS-related.

Unfortunately, I must leave it at this point, as I have spent way too
much time already. At least I'm glad that I didn't upgrade the
production server directly, and instead spent time trying to get things
to work in the test environment. Otherwise there would have been tar and
feathers at noon today.

A sincere thank you for your time and suggestions.

Peter

On 01.10.2018 13:40, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai,
>
> If you read the post on the debian bug list.
> You wil seen the workaround also, thats tested and works.
>
> And I also suggest you adjest the startup order and to adjust your systemd settings is shown here.
>
> Use : systemct edit name_of_service.service
> This creates and override file in /etc/systemd/system/servicename.d/override.conf
>
> If you want a full copy of the service file and edit that.
> Use : systemct edit --full name_of_service.service
> That wil be placed in /etc/systemd/system/
>
> Editing this way, you wont get messages/questions when upgrading and your settins are in /etc/systemd
> The system systems are in /lib/systemd
>
> Currently im testing the following settings.
>
> # /etc/systemd/system/smbd.service.d/override.conf
> Wants=network.target
> After=network.target nmbd.service
>

> # /etc/systemd/system/winbind.service.d/override.conf
> Wants=network-online.target
> After=network.target network-online.target smbd.service
>
> And Nmbd does not need adjustments.
>

> But dont forget to install conform these steps. A few workarounds to make it work.
>
> install a stand-alone server.
> apt-get install samba
>
> Next, to avoid the problem run :
> net groupmap add sid=S-1-5-32-546 unixgroup=nobody type=builtin
>
> or define the idmap in smb.conf
>
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
> idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
>
> Now you can install winbind also, if you dont need winbind, then the bug does not show.
>
> As of this point you can configure everything as usual.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

>>> nmbd