[Samba] getent not showing domain users and groups with winbind but works with sssd

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Oct 1 11:40:35 UTC 2018

Hai,

If you read the post on the debian bug list.
You wil seen the workaround also, thats tested and works.

And I also suggest you adjest the startup order and to adjust your systemd settings is shown here.

Use : systemct edit name_of_service.service
This creates and override file in /etc/systemd/system/servicename.d/override.conf

If you want a full copy of the service file and edit that.
Use : systemct edit --full name_of_service.service
That wil be placed in /etc/systemd/system/

Editing this way, you wont get messages/questions when upgrading and your settins are in /etc/systemd
The system systems are in /lib/systemd

Currently im testing the following settings.

# /etc/systemd/system/smbd.service.d/override.conf
Wants=network.target
After=network.target nmbd.service

# /etc/systemd/system/winbind.service.d/override.conf
Wants=network-online.target
After=network.target network-online.target smbd.service

And Nmbd does not need adjustments.

But dont forget to install conform these steps. A few workarounds to make it work.

install a stand-alone server.
apt-get install samba

Next, to avoid the problem run :
net groupmap add sid=S-1-5-32-546 unixgroup=nobody type=builtin

or define the idmap in smb.conf

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

Now you can install winbind also, if you dont need winbind, then the bug does not show.

As of this point you can configure everything as usual.

Greetz,

Louis