[Samba] explorer.exe crashes on security tab access

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 1 14:11:12 UTC 2018

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 15:59:57 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I dont agree, its not always the application.
>
> Unstable powersupply can make applications crash or unstable graphics
> card or fault ram or unstable motherboard, bad hdd. ..
> And 1 google to provide proof for above statement, Google "Windows
> has blocked access to the graphics cards" that one applies for all
> the above options,,  so it's not always the application. I've been
> reminded on that, by having a pc that, random crashes with random
> applications and all hardware tests show no problems..
>
> I could not find the problem in this case, everybody was saying its
> software, im telling its hardware. (in above statements) And.. After
> 9 months trying to get this fix, i've dropped the pc at a shop to
> test all hardware with special test devices. Im waiting for the
> results in this case..   ( i suspect here unstable power in
> PSU/Mainboard/PCI-E . )
>
> So faulty hardware, can make it crash also but that is probely not
> the case here.
>
> In the case of explorer crashed, on secrurity tab, i have seen
> something like that. If i install my Zarafa schema AND my Kopano
> schema on my win pc and start ADUC,then it crashed,  removing one of
> these 2 fixed it for me.
>
> Are you using extra pluging or have in integrated some sofware in the
> explorer?
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Louis, whilst what you posted is quite correct, in this case, the OP is
chasing up a past thread.
The OP is using Local Unix users (i.e. users NOT in AD) as owners of
shares and when he tries to open the shares security tab, it crashes.
This has been verified and past to Microsoft for a fix (we cannot fix
Microsoft's code)

Rowland