[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Nov 29 15:00:09 UTC 2018

Hai Barry,

We know about exchange might be a problem, the others i dont know..
Check the windows schema levels.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/AD_Schema_Version_Support

You could try a clean setup as shown by my howto.

Before you install setup ip and hostname in the windows DNS for the linux server.
Make sure you use a name thats never used before, just to be sure of no side effects.

Then follow this to the letter. ( so use bind9_dlz )

https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/full-howto-Ubuntu18.04-samba-AD_DC.txt
Line 31, use the windows DC's ip's
Line 47, use the same time server as the windows DC's.

Until line 259, the provisioning line, change that to join.
And proceed with the steps.

Thats a mis-config in you setup.

> I can connect to that share from windows clients, but I have
> to connect as the administrator (who is mapped to root). I
> set ACLs with Windows Tools, and Windows still looks at them
> as there, but they do not function because we never could.
>
> The Thread is:
> getenv does not return any AD DOMAIN users or groups -
> ?nsswitch is not setup for Samba?
>
> I am going to migrate away from Exchange.  In fact MailEnable
> has completed implementation of mail delivery to public
> folders so I can go ahead and do that.  Louis however
> recommended Kopano.  I had considered and dismissed it as too
> expensive.  I was trying to see if it was available as Open
> Source or if there was a subscription that would Not be expensive.

Kopano community version is free, so cant be cheaper.
https://kopano.io/
Downloads : https://download.kopano.io/community/

Debian buster wil get kopano. ( at least lets hope so )
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=kopano-core

> For the moment if we could go back to the Member Server and get it working I had started
> that to create a Replicated Storage Volume as we are having trouble with Microsoft DFS Replicated folders.
A linux member of windows member ?
If i think i can make some extra time tomorrow and i'll make a member howto also for Ubuntu and i'll update the current stretch version to 4.8/4.9

So far,

Greetz,

Louis