[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

Barry D. Adkins Barry at daram.com
Thu Nov 29 13:57:06 UTC 2018

> 2008 Member - MS Exchange 2010

>BOING!!!         ^^^^^^^^^^^

>From my knowledge, you cannot use exchange with a Samba DC.

My original plan was a stepped approach.  Recall I created a Samba Member Server.  Created a Share, entered GID, UID for all users and groups, but we could not get the member server to ever see those users/groups.

I can connect to that share from windows clients, but I have to connect as the administrator (who is mapped to root). I set ACLs with Windows Tools, and Windows still looks at them as there, but they do not function because we never could.

The Thread is:
getenv does not return any AD DOMAIN users or groups - ?nsswitch is not setup for Samba?

I am going to migrate away from Exchange.  In fact MailEnable has completed implementation of mail delivery to public folders so I can go ahead and do that.  Louis however recommended Kopano.  I had considered and dismissed it as too expensive.  I was trying to see if it was available as Open Source or if there was a subscription that would Not be expensive.

For the moment if we could go back to the Member Server and get it working I had started that to create a Replicated Storage Volume as we are having trouble with Microsoft DFS Replicated folders.

-Barry Adkins