[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

Barry D. Adkins Barry at daram.com
Wed Nov 28 09:23:14 UTC 2018

Bear in mind... until this undertaking... OUR WHOLE infrastructure is Microsoft, except for our VOIP phones are now migrated AWAY from MS-Lync/Skype for Business, && currently we are migrating to MailEnable from Microsoft Exchange.  MailEnable as far as we could ascertain, had the needed functionality and support for Outlook Activesync, etc. and we need Public Folder Mail delivery.  I could not find a Linux Mail Server that would suffice except I found a couple of Microsoft Like $$ and get all in our business world... yet I am digressing at this point...

Point is that I/We are soooo wanting to get away from Microsoft... I/we really want to get Samba infrastructure established so we can work our way OUT of Microsoft!!

Barry Adkins

>> Then question after this.
>> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9601,
>> 'WERR_DNS_ERROR_ZONE_DOES_NOT_EXIST')
>
>I personally have come to the conclusion that, whilst the DNS records are in his Windows AD, they are not being replicated because he isn't running a DNS server on >any of his Windows DC's, I could be wrong, but that's what I now think.

ABSOLUTELY EVERY windows DC is running DNS and Integrated AD DNS.  There are 3 Windows DCs.  2 at the home Site 1 - 2008 and 1-2012.  1 at other site 2012.  ALL running AD Integrated DNS.

>> This DC your adding, are you useing bind9_DLZ or internal DNS from
> >samba itself? I suspect resolving problems.
>
>As far as I am aware, he is using the internal dns server.
YES, it is internal dns server on the Ubuntu Server that I am trying to turn into a Samba AD DC.

I am NOT against doing BIND9, just that it seemed somewhat tedious and I wanted to try to do a little at a time to migrate AWAY from Microsoft Servers/etc.

I have to get some sleep... so I may not respond to Luis' post until "my" morning... ;-)

Barry Adkins