[Samba] Win 7 NT4 Domain Login

Daryl Lee defactoman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 07:00:15 UTC 2018

 I'm at home for the holidays so i'll respond later with some relevant log
files if it helps you compare against yours.   I have recently seen very
similar behavior (not exactly the same) with Windows 7 systems using our
Samba NT4 domain after upgrading Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 on our Domain
Controller which upped the Samba version (I don't have those off the top of
my head either).  No matter how long I try to log in with a valid username
and password it will fail with the error "no logon servers found", however
older "cached" accounts would sometimes still work.  The workaround has
been to try and log in with a username that doesn't exist (randomly hitting
keys on the keyboard).  You do this once (or twice) in about a minute
time-span and then the error message will switch from no logon servers to
invalid username/password (and then work for normal users).

The more the system is used, the less its likely to re-appear, but if a
system remains idle for about a week then I get it again or sometimes right
after re-adding it to the domain.    I have on one occasion had the trust
relationship error in the same time period while I was troubleshooting the
no logon servers found,  but after rejoining the specific system that error
went away.    Off the top of my head the error in the samba log files for
that system showed something about not being able to enumerate the groups
for the user, showing that it indeed found the logon server but got some
error causing it to display no logon servers (so a false error).  You might
want to see if logs are being generated for that system showing something
wrong going on.  After using the fake username the groups enumerate
properly when logging in with a valid username.