[Samba] Migrate users from old server to new server without moving/copying configuration

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 19 11:39:30 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 11:09:07 +0000
Piers Kittel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Rowland,
>
> Thank you so much for replying!  I'm not exactly sure of the issues,
> but it includes very slow log-in times (>30 minutes if I move to
> another computer I've not used previously) and the KDC doesn't work.
> I've tried joining the two servers, but it stopped the new one from
> working entirely, and I had to wipe the server and start again.  I've
> now spent some time and got the new server set up perfect, I'm not
> really keen on joining and killing the new server again, but I could
> try this again if you think this is the best way forward?
>
> Many thanks again!
>
> With kind regards - Piers

Joining another DC shouldn't do anything to the old DC (except add the
new DC's info), so it looks like you have something wrong.

So, we know that the new DC is running 4.5.12 on Debian, but what
version of Samba is running on the old DC and what OS is it ?

Can you post the following files, from the old DC and the new one:

/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/etc/krb5.conf
smb.conf

If you are using Bind9, post the named conf files.

You can sanitise the files if you wish, but if you do, use the same
names everywhere.

Rowland