[Samba] Time server on AD DC in an LXD container.

Jonathan Kreider jonathan.kreider at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:22:31 UTC 2018

After reading the instructions at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation, I still have
questions about how samba interacts with nptd.

The issue is that LXD doesn't want containers setting the time and so won't
start ntpd at container startup even though it's enabled in systemd. The
host does sync it's time with a national time server, so we can assume that
the host's time is good enough for my purposes.

I can manually start ntpd, but samba still doesn't want to serve time. Or
at least my workstations won't admit to it.

What do I need to do to get samba to function as a windows time server in
this scenario?

* Samba 4.7.6 in an Ubuntu 18.04 container on an Ubuntu 16.04 host.

Thanks,
Jonathan