[Samba] Time server on AD DC in an LXD container.

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Mon Nov 5 17:53:12 UTC 2018

On 11/5/18 12:22 PM, Jonathan Kreider via samba wrote:
> After reading the instructions at
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation, I still have
> questions about how samba interacts with nptd.
>
> The issue is that LXD doesn't want containers setting the time and so won't
> start ntpd at container startup even though it's enabled in systemd. The
> host does sync it's time with a national time server, so we can assume that
> the host's time is good enough for my purposes.
>
> I can manually start ntpd, but samba still doesn't want to serve time. Or
> at least my workstations won't admit to it.
>
> What do I need to do to get samba to function as a windows time server in
> this scenario?

I run Samba AD inside OCI containers (podman, docker), for that kind of
problems, I run the ntp server on the host and expose the socket on a
mounted volume (/srv/samba-ad (host) -> /var/lib/samba (container))

The host running ntp server can read the socket inside
/srv/samba-ad/..., You should be careful with SELinux / AppArmor acls
(whatever are you using) in order to allow the host ntpd to reach the
container exposed socket ntp_signd