[Samba] Windows 10 Client - Samba 3 Server - NT4 Style PDC

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Thu May 24 03:44:04 UTC 2018

I have an old setup that serves my purposes, but which I'll move over
to a more modern Samba4 setup at some point.  I know it's old,
deprecated etc.

In any case, at the moment I'm having a problem with two Windows 10
machines connecting to the domain I set up.

The network is a mix of XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines.
Four (4) windows 10 machines connect to the domain after the two
registry
settings in LanManager Workstation are set and the group policy
on hardened paths is defined.

Two (2) windows 10 machines refuse to connect.  They seem intent on
using
DNS to resolve the domain name. NetBios does not seem to be queried.

At the command line 'nbtstat -a pdc' returns all the names for
servers that are running including the suffix defining the domain
controller.  Obviously the netbios name for the domain controller
(ie 'pdc') gets resolved since the name is resolved to an IP
and the data is returned.

NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled.  I've tried entering settings in
the LMhosts file (ie 192.168.1.10 pdc #PRE #DOM:domain).
I've entered the wins server (which is running on the Samab machine)
into the IPv4 settings on the client.  I've futzed with the
local firewall and some other policy & registry settings.

Nothing seems to work.  The win10 client seems intent on looking
for an active directory server resolved via DNS.

Any ideas?  Thanks.