[Samba] Windows 10 Client - Samba 3 Server - NT4 Style PDC

Henry Jensen hjensen at mailbox.org
Thu May 24 06:06:15 UTC 2018

Am 24. Mai 2018 05:44:04 MESZ schrieb Marco Shmerykowsky via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:

>I have an old setup that serves my purposes, but which I'll move over
>to a more modern Samba4 setup at some point.  I know it's old,
>deprecated etc.
>
>In any case, at the moment I'm having a problem with two Windows 10
>machines connecting to the domain I set up.

Which version of Windows 10? I also have problems joining a Windows 10 1803 machine to a NT style domain. W10 1709 machines can join, with 1803 it seems Windows explicitly looks for an AD DC.

Additionally I have enabled SMBv1 (which isn't enabled by default since 1709) but to no avail.

It seems, with 1803 Microsoft closed that door for good.

Since I am using OpenLDAP as backend I ended up using pGina[0] to allow domain users to log on onto that machine at least, which works, but you lose all Windows domain specific features like roaming profiles, logon scripts, etc.

I am in the process of migrating to Samba AD and I think many more people are - the time for NT style domains is up.

Regards,

Henry

[0] https://mutonufoai.github.io/pgina/