[Samba] Samba 4.8.2

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri May 18 13:35:42 UTC 2018

Hai,

Q) Is it possible to Mix Samba 4.8.2 with Samba 4.7.7?
A) Yes, but i dont advice it.

Q) After a reboot of the upgraded server, (Dc1) is the replication still working?
A) I dont know, i did not look, after the check of DC1, i directly upgraded DC2.
     And after that was done i did check my replication 0 error in my case.
A2 (Rowland's) just restart bind no reboot needed. What you preffer.

Q) Gpos are working?
A) yes, for i without problems, tested with Win7 64B upto Win10 1709, i've not tested win10 1803 yet.

But i rely on the "       acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes"  parameter.
Please remember that, if you did hit problems.

I suggest have a look here. The compair
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-check-set-sysvol.sh

@Rowland good point there.
That should be fixable.
I'll think about this howto add this in the services files so if samba is restarted bind is restarted also.
What do you think, good idee?

Not tested yet, but im thinking of the following ( in case of systemd )
PartOf=foo.service  since partof only links the restarting proces.

The other i think of is
BindsTo= , best to use with After=
If a unit is stopped the other unit also stops.

Or
[Service]
ExecStartPost=/bin/systemctl try-restart bind9.service

Or
In bind9.service.
WantedBy=samba-ad-dc.service

Few ideas here..