[Samba] Samba 4.8.2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 20 21:21:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-18 at 14:44 +0200, Micha Ballmann via samba wrote:
> Is it possible to Mix Samba 4.8.2 with Samba 4.7.7?
>
> I have three domain controller (up to 10000 users) running on Samba 4.7.7.
>
> I want to kill all samba processes of Dc1 and do all necessary steps for an upgrade to version 4.8.2. Dc2 and Dc2 still running and providing.
>
> After a reboot of the upgraded server, (Dc1) is the replication still working? Gpos are working?
>
> I cant shutdown all domain controller for the same time, and upgrade them "offline" step by step!

If possible, do the upgrade by joining each DC to the domain, rather
than upgrading them offline.  If you keep upgrading in-place you miss
out on some features we only enable on fresh databases, like encrypted
secrets (4.8) and sorted links (4.7).

As has become amply clear of late, in-place upgrades, while tested as
part of our 'make test' are clearly are not as tested as they should
be.

In any case, replication between 4.7 and 4.8 shouldn't be a problem.

I hope this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett