[Samba] Samba4 on Ubuntu 18.04 Howto setup ADDC with bind9_DLZ (extra part 4.8.1 samba)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 11 15:37:12 UTC 2018

On Fri, 11 May 2018 07:33:41 -0700
Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:

> RPvs> On Fri, 11 May 2018 07:14:38 -0700
> RPvs> Gregory Sloop via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> >> So, I'm curious about the contrast between modifying netplan vs
> >> simply disabling systemd.resolved
>
> >> Is there some advantage to the gyrations to make netplan work, vs
> >> simply disabling resolved and manually defining the IP and DNS
> >> server? [I'm not complaining, I'm thankful for all the options -
> >> just wanting to have the best handle possible on the reasoning
> >> behind one method vs the other.]
>

> RPvs> My opinion is pretty basic, if you are setting up a Samba AD
> RPvs> DC, then you don't need/want anything installed that could
> RPvs> change the DNS settings.
>
> RPvs> Louis's point of view seems to be, do the least amount of
> RPvs> alteration to the OS to get it work without removing anything.
>
> RPvs> You pays your money and makes your choice ;-)
>
> systemd sure is a drama queen, eh? For something that's supposed to
> be simply a behind-the-scenes,
> don't-screw-it-up-just-do-it-simply-easily-and-reliably, systemd
> seems to have become the center of the universe. [Pretty soon the OS
> will be there to keep systemd working, instead of the other
> way-round.]
>
> All that said, I tend to hew to Louis' take - modify the stock
> install as minimally as possible. [I think I find fewer things down
> the road that want to bite me in the night, if I do it that way...]
>
> Still, I would like Louis' take.
> :)

I think you will have to wait until next week for Louis's answer, but I
decided quite sometime ago to vote with my distro and now only use
Devuan and the funny thing is, I get a faster startup time than when I
install a systemd distro to test something, wasn't that supposed be a
main reason for using systemd, it was faster than sysvinit ?

Rowland