[Samba] Samba4 on Ubuntu 18.04

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed May 9 14:27:03 UTC 2018

Thank you for this feed back.

> Just chipping in with my upgrade experience from Ubuntu 16.04
> to 18.04 which wasn't entirely smooth.  I have two domain
> controllers which are only serving a small number of
> users/groups, they were previously using the default packages
> on 16.04 and now default on
> 18.04.  The original 16.04 installation was a standard server
> install + a few extra packages.  What went wrong:

Ah.. I know, you installed the "Standard Server"...
These upgrades always fail, yes i run some ubuntu servers.
2 to be exact, for my kodi systems.

> On the first system I upgraded there was a file collision
> with
> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.ser
> vice (I didn't note which packages) which caused the
> do-release-upgrade program to die, I had to manually complete
> the install after that
> using apt commands.  On the second system I moved this file
> out of the way before starting and then cleaned it up at the
> end of the upgrade.

And, if you had read the release notes, you would have seen that the upgrade of 16.04 to 18.04 is delayed to July.

I suggest, avoid : do-release-upgrade
And do the following.
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -dy  ( just a download here )
apt-get dist-upgrade -dy ( just a download here )
apt-get dist-upgrade -y (upgrade everything on the current system.)
Reboot ( just checking )

change the apt sources to the version you want to run.
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -dy ( just a download here )
apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Works the best for me.
But If you know Rowland and systemd, thats the same for me with ubuntu..  ;-)
It just wont install how i want it and Debian never is a problem.

> The dpkg --configure phase for some of the samba packages
> didn't like operating on an smb.conf configured for a domain
> controller, I added server role check:inhibit=yes to smb.conf
> to make this work.  The issue seemed to be systemd wanted to
> start smbd but that
> unit would check it wasn't a domain controller and then cause
> a failure.

That is know, and this is fixed in upcoming packages ( fixed in debians 4.8.1+dfsg-2 package, not release yet.)
My 4.8.1 already has some parts of this in it.

> systemd-resolved royally fubared DNS resolution and the DCs
> couldn't find each other.  Previously my resolv.conf entries
> were 127.0.0.1 and then the other DC.  Ensure that the
> systemd-resolved service is disabled before rebooting at the
> end of the upgrade.

This is because people adjust to much the wrong way.
Every upgrade is a risk, configure a system "the correct way" and upgrades are a brezz..
Why do i have ALL my servers setup with auto updates.

If you see my setup for ubuntu 18.04 you will see i did not touch resolv.conf at all.
And samba/the server resolves fine.

And No i'm not a fanboy of systemd.
I learned today howto setup this, how... ... I did read the manual and googled a bit.
Yes, about 1-2 hours in time gone, but i did learn again...

> Use testparm after upgrade and fix any issues with idmap
> configuration that are reported otherwise you will have
> problems if running winbind on the DC.  (I run nscd and
> winbind so both user and DOMAIN\user appear in the user/group
> databases, ensure auto-propagate
> = no is set in /etc/nscd.conf if you do that)

If the upgrades stops due to samba.
Dont worry, the fix is very easy.

Basicly its always run : dpkg --reconfigure -a
But check these things first when it stops.

1)  /etc/samba/smb.conf, check if your smb.conf if its correct, if you smb.conf has outdated setttings,
    overlapping backend id's, things like that, your upgrade stops untill this if fixed.
    ( note : if you have : dcerpc endpoint servers = +spoolss , remove it from smb.conf if the upgrade fails.)

2) /etc/nsswitch.conf	if it contains `winbind files`  and not `files winbind`, your upgrade might fail.
    switch it back, and run dpkg --reconfure -a

3) Jessie to Stretch is sysv to systemd, service changes. ( same for Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04)
    For samba ( standalone/members ) systemd uses one or more : smbd nmbd winbind
    For samba ( AD DC ) systemd uses samba-ad-dc

    The change to samba AD DC with systemd is:
    systemctl stop smbd nmbd winbind
    systemctl disable smbd nmbd winbind
    systemctl mask smbd nmbd winbind

    systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc
    systemctl enable samba-ad-dc
    systemctl start samba-ad-dc

4) if dpkg --reconfigure -a isnt working even after these update,
    Ask for help in the samba list, im there also, i'll help you get past it.

! Note, i have 4 days off.. So im back Monday and if your luck, bit sooner.