[Samba] Samba4 on Ubuntu 18.04

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue May 8 13:52:56 UTC 2018

A sort of digest reply...

RPvs> Not sure, what is a samba4/adc ???
RPvs> Or do you mean a 'Has anybody joined a Samba DC on Ubuntu 18.04' ?
Yes, doing an active directory controller [ADC] not just a workgroup-share.
[Though, not "joining" a DC already in existance, but creating a new AD setup.]

RPvs> If so, then yes and it was hell
What exactly was hellish about it?
Is it your opinion I should use something else, compile from source, or what?
Did you get it to work satisfactorily eventually?

[I know you're a long-time list contributor, so I'm very interested in your thoughts.]
---

>What do you need, yes i have compiled a whole samba ad dc structur with 18.04.

I have compiled Samba4 on Ubuntu from source before, but I'd really like to avoid doing that. It seems like a reasonable trade-off to sacrifice some lack of features [using an older version] for having Ubuntu maintain security patches etc.

On that note, I'm not totally wed to Ubuntu/Debian. Is there some LTS [long-term-support] distro that's dramatically better?

---

>Its not 100% ubuntu, but these should work also on ubuntu. https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/tree/master/howtos

Thanks. I'll look at that. I'm not sure how much help it's going to be, as there are some, it appears, significant differences between Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. Thus, a how-to that isn't specific to 18.04 may not be that useful, as it will not have the detail needed to avoid the pitfalls of 18.04.

And while I can probably work through all the new oddities, I was hoping that someone else would have already done so and would be willing to share.

Thanks all for the initial tips.

-Greg