[Samba] Samba4 on Ubuntu 18.04

Micha Ballmann ballmann at uni-landau.de
Tue May 8 14:25:16 UTC 2018

I installed two samba ad in replication. One fileserver (domain member)
and printserver (domain member). I built a CTDB cluster with it. All are
running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS!

On the AD Server i got a problem with the internal DNS from samba
because systemd-resolver thought it is the DNS boss now. I disabled
systemd-resolve (systemctl disable systemd-resolved.service) and mange
the resolve.conf manually.

Some tips before you install samba:

- If not needed uninstall "cloud init" (some trouble with setting
hostname and  /etc/hosts file):

#
https://makandracards.com/operations/42688-how-to-remove-cloud-init-from-ubuntu

- If youre using ntp, disable systemd's timesyncd service (ntp service
will now start after reboot)

# timedatectl set-ntp off

Please notice, in Ubuntu 18.04 stable not in BETA version, now a
"swap.img" is mounted in "/" . No swap partition anymore!

In my opinion samba is ready for Ubuntu 18.04.

Regards

PS: All server were compiled from source, except the ctbd cluster, i
used the repository (samba 4.7.6)